Advice for checking your car battery
Prestige Vehicle Repairs advice for checking your car battery
Want to lower your chances of being left stranded in this miserable cold weather? Here we have provided a few tips to check your car battery is working how it should to reduce your chances of breaking down.
You can determine problems with the battery yourself by following a few of our tips:
1) Have a look at the battery to check for stains or signs of corrosion as you may have a leak
2) Check the terminals are clear of any buildup as this could keep your car from starting up
3) If you do find buildup you can clean this with some baking soda, a toothbrush and water. Then simply scrub the baking soda into the terminal posts and dry off with a clean cloth or rag (ensure you wear gloves) – Applying petroleum jelly to the terminals can slow down the process of any future corrosion
4) If terminals are damaged you should consider a new battery
5) If you notice a funny ‘rotten egg’ odor this could be a sign that the battery is overheating
If you know that the battery in your car is older than three to four years, you should consider getting it tested to check everything is in working order as this is when you could begin to experience problems. Also, if you are only doing short trips in your car, this could affect the life of your battery too, so make sure to keep check of it.
If you do find any problems with your battery or you are unsure, please give us a call on 01708 868864